Samstag, 24. Januar 2009

Update: Youtube: Jesse Clegg - Today


the debut as musican: Jesse Clegg, the son of Johnny Clegg

concert:
Music is the highlight at the Civic Tuesday, 20 January 2009
http://www.joburg.org.za/content/view/3393/266/
Local hero
For local music of a different kind, there is Jesse Clegg's first concert, When I Wake Up, at Nelson Mandela Theatre from 12 to 14 May. Clegg, the son of musician Johnny Clegg, released his debut album in October 2008. The first single, Today, entered the Highveld FM Homebrew chart at number one.
The concert includes songs from the album, as well as some new material.

interview:
Awake to a new sound - Music and Me
http://www.thetimes.co.za/Entertainment/Article.aspx?id=920488
Published:Jan 24, 2009
Benjamin Moshatama speaks to the young Jesse Clegg about his newborn career and having a famous father.

Coming from a musical family how did your own journey begin?
I am lucky to have been exposed to the industry from a young age. I used to travel around the world with my father when I was a kid.

I had a great experience of watching live shows and being exposed to good sounds.

When I was about 14, I picked up the guitar and later started to write songs. I realised I had received a good grounding from the tours I attended with my dad.

Would you attribute your sudden popularity to being the son of Johnny Clegg?
I don’t think so. What I do is different to what my father is doing. I do more rock ’n roll, while he has been making world music for most of his life.

I also don’t try to play off my name, but the media enjoy asking me about it. I doubt people are willing to buy my album just because I am related to a famous guy but not enjoy the music.

Is singing rock ’n roll a rebellion against your father’s Zulu chants?
When I started recording my demo, I didn’t make a deliberate choice. I wanted to communicate from my own frame of reference and express myself in my own right.

How did you end up with a recording deal for your new album, When I Wake Up?
It took me three years to record a demo. After that, I drove to a couple of record companies and dropped it off.

I received a positive response from David Gresham, who wanted us to work together. It was actually nerve-wracking to know that what I was working on for so long was going out to the world.

You might explore rock ’n roll, but your music has a certain subtlety and intimacy in its lyricism.
I never want to box myself into any genre, but I am always open to experimentation. I think the album for me is more about introspection and it also touches on relationships, but mainly focuses on personal themes.

So how is the experience of performing solo?
I actually haven’t been performing. I have been looking for a band to play with because I did most of the playing in my album. I have found a couple of guys who are excited about the songs and they will join me on my upcoming tour.

I have to admit you have a great voice. Is singing something you’ve worked hard at?
No, I never really aimed to sound American or anything like that. My main aim in my music is to be honest with who I am. But I guess that as an artist you always have to compare yourself with great artists.

Jesse Clegg’s Favourite Tunes af all time # Yellow by Coldplay # Everlong by Foo Fighters # Champagne Supernova by Oasis # Great Heart by Johnny Clegg # Karma Police by Radiohead


see also:
http://johnnyclegg.blogspot.com/2008/10/ot-jesse-clegg.html

About Jesse &
Interview JJ: Johnny & Jesse Clegg





Live:
Jesse Clegg When I Wake Up
Nelson Mandela Theatre, Civic Theatre Complex, Braamfontein
Tue 12; Wed 13; Thu 14th May 2009
Show times 20h00

TODAY

VERSE 1

Hello
Today
Im as lonely as you were in May
Today

Some say
Today
Is all there ever will be so Ill stay
Today

CHORUS

Message to the one
Step into the sun
Remember all the days
That disappeared like rain

Open up your eyes
Everythings alright
I tried to make you see
The wood for the trees

VERSE 2

You pray
Today
That tomorrow will be your day
You say

I may
Today
Tell you how I am feeling, in your way
Today

CHORUS x2

OUTRO
I dont want to be
I dont want to be
I dont want to be the only one

X3

I dont want to be
I dont want to be
I dont want to be the lonely one



Keine Kommentare: